Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Good 'Ole Days

No, I am not talking about how we used to walk uphill, barefoot, in 4 feet of snow, both ways...

I am talking about swimming lessons. The key focus here being on lessons. This year is year two for g.imp and she is still in the beginner ('Hello kids! This is water...') class.

I remember when we had lessons as kids. Mom would wake us up and have us to the pool by 8:30 a.m. (g.imp has to try and roll out of bed by 10:30 to make her 11a.m. lesson). The water was cold and we had to (don't blink here folks) learn actual swim-type movements. Ok in year one we splashed like mad and learned to float on our backs. Year two was kicking and the basic Crawl Stroke.

Year two for g.imp is...splashing and the instructor throwing rings around in the water and having the kids try to leap through them like some type of cheap Shamu replacements...

Well it looks like to truly teach the imps to swim, we'll have to go to the waaay back 'Good 'Ole Days'.


Yes, if things keep trending this way, I might be forced to toss the imps into the deep end..!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took swimming lessons two summers in a row. The first year was kind and gentle. The second year, I had an instructor who smacked us on our heads if we weren't paying attention.

I've been meaning to sign up Tacy for private lessons. Thanks for the smack on the head.

Mama of 2 said...

Honestly...Dennis you are a riot! But seriously I think we are missing a great deal from the good 'ole days. Those were days when kids were taught things and not coddled to the ends of the earth for heaven sakes.

I have to say I would be disappointed in the swimming lessons you mentioned in this post especially if I was actually paying for them. They aren't teaching g.imp to swim at all so what's the point really?

Good luck with the throwing them into the deep end of the pool -- you can swim right?