Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I might be losing this fight

I sometimes long for the days when our g.imp was more rough and tumble. There was a time when she was in daycare that this worry was non-existent.

When I picked g.imp up one particular afternoon, we had a discipline report also waiting for us. It seems our precocious g.imp left rather deep teeth marks in another child's arm.

Normally this is not an occasion to cheer, but even the staff was reluctant to discipline our g.imp on this occasion. It turns out she was only retaliating because the other child bit her first! Upon hearing this I informed the little one that she was going out for an ice cream treat.

I do not personally endorse fighting, but as dad informed me so many years ago: 'I better not ever hear about you starting a fight. But if you do have to get into one, you damn well better finish it!'

There was a time I believed g.imp understood this...

She now lets little things like size intimidate her. And being the good father that I am, I cannot step in and solve her problems. Well not directly.

Enter the n.imp (neighborhood imp). This darling is bigger than our imps and generally good natured but she has a definite 'I am in charge' personality. Our g.imp has a definite 'I want to be the center of attention' personality.

Makes for fun times when they are together.

I keep thinking 'if only g.imp will show more backbone. '
or 'gee a left cross right about now would feel good!'
But then I remember even I have not thrown a punch in anger in over 25 years. So I guess I am stuck working on this backbone issue.

Workout Commitment:
-failed in completing the final 2 cycles of last night's run.

1 comment:

Mama of 2 said...

Dennis,
I hear you. I think it's a fine line we parents walk when it comes to our kids and their relationships with other kids. I mean I know I personally want my child to be liked perhaps not the popular kid but I certainly don't want him to be the outcast.
And it's hard like you said not to step in and play refree when we think our kids aren't standing up for themselves. I know at least it is for me.

I have no backbone issues. I am rather opinionated and can be a loud mouth. I never back down from a fight/arguement and do I want my kids to carry on my traits? In one way yes and in another way no since I recall my childhood/adolesence being difficult at times.

This parent thing isn't easy huh?